Castlelyons National School
Castlelyons National School is situated at Stables Cross, between the villages of Castlelyons and Bridebridge, about 5km from Fermoy. The location is splendid with a great view of Barrymore Castle and surrounded by luscious farmland.
Our school’s motto is “Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid.” This roughly translates as – together we achieve more. As a result of great co-operation between staff, pupils, parents, Parents’ Association, Board of Management and the wider community, that Castlelyons National School can provide a high quality educational experience. Each child is encouraged to do his or her best every single day and to treat others as they would like to be treated themselves. This emphasis on the positive, contributes to a very happy working and learning environment for all in this educational community.
Tá an-mheas ag an bhfoireann theagaisc ar an nGaeilge agus déantar gach uile iarracht í a úsáid mar theanga chaidrimh agus grá don teanga a chothú i measc na ndaltaí.
Kilmagner National School
Kilmagner, Fermoy, Co. Cork
Tel: 025 36802
Principal: Trevor Grumbridge
Kilmagner School was opened on June 17th 1878. It consisted of two classrooms – one for boys and one for girls. The Principal was Patrick Walsh (1878-1911). He was assisted by Mary K. Walsh. It is believed locally that a hedge school may have been in existence nearby, prior to that date. Throughout its history it has been a venue for community activities like dances and the performance of plays. Indeed that tradition of hosting drama is still carried on today in the form of the School’s Christmas show – Seo na Nollag.
Kilmagner N.S. has seen quite a transformation in recent times. It has developed from being a three roomed school to being a modern, well equipped primary school, where the needs of every child are well catered for. In May 2008, an ambitious building project was undertaken. Three new classrooms, a storage room, new toilets and cloakrooms were built, together with the redevelopment of the existing building. This provided the school with two new Learning Support and Resource Rooms, adult toilets with disabled facilities, a multi-purpose room, office and a staffroom. The old and new buildings have been connected by an impressive light filled corridor.
All this was achieved without changing the traditional facade of the school. A school car park has also been developed.